Michigan Probate Attorney Firm Profile Attorney Profiles Contact Us
Michigan Probate Lawyer
Call Today


Fax Number: 248.408.0218

Oakland County Offices


Click here to find out why you need an attorney on your side Click here to read about how we evaluate your needs & recommend a plan specifically for you
Benefits of Probate
Change of Beneficiary
Estate Administration
Probate Litigation
Estate Planning
Last Will & Testament
Trust Administration
Click here to visit our site for effective municiple law counsel

Click here to see our map and contact information

Make an appointment with our Grand Rapids office today!

Oakland County Guardianship Attorney

Conservatorship and Guardianship Lawyers in Oakland County

Are you concerned about the welfare of your child or adult child? If your son or daughter is too young or does not have the mental capacity to manage their own affairs, then there are ways to ensure their safety and well-being should anything happen to you. In life you want to make sure that you plan for any unforeseen circumstances. Should a child lose both their parents or is they are not able to care for themselves due to a disability, you want to ensure that someone will be there to step in and fulfill that role when you cannot. Now is the time to resolve this important matter. To ensure that your loved ones are cared for in your absence, speak with an Oakland County probate attorney from our firm about establishing guardianship.

Appointing a Guardian in Your Estate Plan

The most ideal way to tie up any lose ends would be to include it in your estate plan. Creating an estate plan is the best way to ensure that your wishes and your desires will be heard and carried out after you pass. In the state of Michigan, you are able to appoint a guardian or conservator in your will. Whoever you appoint will be responsible for caring and managing the affairs for your minor child or disabled adult. This is a very large responsibility to take on, which is why it is vital that you and the appointed individual understand the responsibilities involved in the situation. When appointing a guardian, be sure to choose wisely and pick someone who you know will respect your best wishes and care for the child/disabled adult in the same fashion.

In the state of Michigan, if a guardian or conservator is not appointed by the deceased and there is no longer a legal guardian, then the court will appoint one. If you are interested in acting as a guardian or conservator, we can represent you during the legal proceedings. We also assist clients who are looking to become the new guardian because they believe that the current conservator is not acting in the individual's best interests. In cases where conservators or guardians are abusing their power of authority, we can help step in to ensure that they only have the power that they need to assist the individual and prevent them from taking advantage of the situation.

How an Oakland County Probate Lawyer Can Assist You

Here at Shifman & Carlson, P.C. we are dedicated to protecting the rights and best interests of our clients. We handle a wide range of probate and estate planning matters including estate litigation, trust administration, drafting wills & trusts, change of beneficiary and estate administration. Our attorneys want to help you protect what matters most. If you are concerned about a child or adult that needs a caretaker or you wish to become a legal guardian for a close friend or relative, then we can assist you. Our firm has been providing exceptional legal services to the residents of Michigan for almost 50 years. We have a tremendous amount of experience behind us and we know how to help you obtain a favorable outcome in your case.

Our firm is committed to providing quality work and excellent service and we are ready to serve you. Schedule your consultation today by calling (348) 956-1473 and speak with an Oakland County guardianship lawyer from our firm.


11313 Troon Dr.,
Stanwood, MI 49364
View Map

34705 West Twelve Mile Road, Suite 160
Farmington Hills, MI 48331
View Map
Phone: (248) 956-1473
Local Phone: (616) 953-8450

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken
as legal advice for any individual case or sistuation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or
viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

© 2012 All Rights Reserved.